“Our world is built on biology and once we begin to understand it, it then becomes a technology”
― Ryan Bethencourt
“Today science fiction is the most important artistic genre. It shapes the understanding of the public on things like artificial intelligence and biotechnology, which are likely to change our lives and society more than anything else in the coming decades.”
― Yuval Noah Harari
These words were excellently conveyed by enthusiastic synergisers of class XI A during the virtual class assembly.
What is Biotechnology?
At its simplest, biotechnology is technology based on biology – biotechnology harnesses cellular and biomolecular processes to develop technologies and products that help improve our lives and the health of our planet. We have used the biological processes of microorganisms for more than 6,000 years to make useful food products, such as bread and cheese, and to preserve dairy products.
The assembly was compeered by V. Nithin. It started with a prayer song lead by Sanjay Jonathand instrumentalist Galdinusfollowed by bible reading and prayer by Ephraim and Sanjay Jonath respectively. VarathaRajan gave us the significance of the day and proceeded with the introduction of the theme “Biotechnology” by PrenaaSree. Harish, Galdinus, Sandeep, Christina Shinnie, VijaiAnand presented PPTs in their own effective way about History, Types, Applications, Pros and Cons of Biotechnology.
Specific Learning Outcome:
- To provide education that leads to comprehensive understanding of the principles and practices of biotechnology.
- To understand and to know the importance of Biotechnology in the field of medicine, food industry etc.
- To produce responsible biotechnologists that can work within the interdisciplinary framework of biotechnology and related fields.
General Learning Outcome:
- To empower students with the ability to think and solve problems in the field of biotechnology.
- To focus on the development of 21st century skills such as organizing skills, leadership skills, communication skills, and especially managing and adapting to the present pandemic situation.
- As a class teacher, I found everything interesting and was overwhelmed to see the interest shown by the students in preparing their own content for the same.
- As I was preparing for courses and job opportunities of biotechnology, I came to know about many disciplines and also the career to be pursued after our schooling.
– Christina Shinnie