GIST OF THE RESOURCE PERSON – Dr. Nappinai Seran’s SPEECH ADDRESSED TO PARENTS OF KG – II ON 28.07.2018 AT SMR HALL
SIX SECRET INGREDIENTS OF EFFECTIVE PARENTING
- Talking to the child. Talking does not mean advising, instructing or dictating in this context. It means giving the child an opportunity to express himself for you to patiently listen.
- Look at the child in the process of listening to him/her for the child to feel confident about you.
- Reason out to the child in the way the child understands.
- Making your child realize responsibilities.
- Encourage your child, but never compare and criticize him/her.
- Instill confidence in the child that you are there for him/her in any situation.
DIFFERENT KINDS OF PARENTING
- Over Involved Parenting
- Authoritative Parenting
- Authoritarian Parenting
- Punitive Parenting
- Uninvolved Parenting
DO’S IN PARENTING
- Create opportunities for the child to explore and learn.
- Encourage the child to question to kindle the thought process.
- Relate to the child when you are parenting.
- Think from the child’s perspective also.
- Spend quality time with the child.
- Set yourself a model to the child, rather than telling what they need to do.
- Never try to substitute your love with monetary gifts.
- Involve your first child in the entire duration of pregnancy, so that the child becomes mentally prepared and waits readily, to accept the sibling.
- Teach the child to accept rejection and failure.
- Change your monotonous way of cooking for your child. Take that extra effort to focus on their health and nutrition by cooking different which will match their taste buds.
- Teach the child good touch and bad touch.
- 64% of the girls and 36% of the boys are sexually abused.
- Child abuse does not mean penetrative sex alone. Demeaning the child to become vulnerable, such that the child falls prey to the predator also is regarded child abuse in the present scenario.
- Child Abuse is not only the person doing it to the child, but it is also prompting the child to do it for them.
- Teach the child defense to come out of such challenging situations
The inter-active session on parenting skills and general functioning of the school proved very beneficial for the parents, who took time off their routine, to attend the orientation. It provided them with ample tips on effective parenting and ways to protect our children from a very challenging and burning issue – CHILD ABUSE.
Dr. Napinnai Seran, is a renowned Psychologist and therapist .We will also upload the recorded speech shortly in our website.